Sunday 2 April 2023

Anyone For Beach Glass?

 Since we live across the street from an ocean beach, we find a lot of beach glass. And we have found some amazing pieces- old glass stoppers, white glass that has aged violet and some with amazing shapes and patterning.

A word of warning. Since some colours are getting very scarce people are "creating" beach glass by simply breaking glass and tumbling it with either silicon grit or plain sand. It is easy to do but also easy to spot. If the pitting on your glass is very consistent, it is likely man made.

After working with stone most of the winter, I decided to make some glass pieces. While glass can be easily drilled, I prefer to make it more interesting by adding an element of copper.

Some pieces just naturally lend themselves to wire wrapping and while I usually use leather neck cords with stone, I often use buna cord with the glass to mimic the effect. And sometimes, a few colourful crystals can make a piece really special.




The copper I use is reclaimed and when possible I like to leave some of the old patina to give it character. I also like to incorporate copper chain to add mobility.






There is only one problem with glass- it is very hard to photograph to look like the actual piece. Trust me, all these pieces are much more striking and beautiful in real life. You can see for yourself later this month when we open the shop! Hope to see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment